- 2 1/2 lbs Tomatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped.
- 8 Garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 Cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 20 Fresh basil leaves, torn in half
- 1 cup plus 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 eggplant, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 large onions, quartered and thinly sliced lengthwise
- 3 assorted bell peppers, cored, seeded, and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 medium zucchini, quartered and cut into 3/4 inch pieces
Usually a vegetable only stew but I like to add grilled sliced Italian sausages to it in the end.
1. In a large pot simmer tomatoes, garlic, parsley, basil, and 1/3 cup of oil for approx. 30 minutes.
2. While sauce is simmering, toss eggplant with 1/2 tsp salt and let stand in colander for 30 minutes.
3. Saute each remaining vegetable separately with 3 tbsp oil each for 10 to 12 minutes each. Ending with eggplant.
4. Add vegetables, remaining oil, approx 1 tsp salt, and 1 tsp of pepper to tomato sauce and simmer, covered, stirring occationally, until vegetables are tender (approx 1 hr)