The great thing about this dish is that it is so easy to make! As long as you've got kimchi, rice, oil, and some salt, there's no messing up! Another great thing about this dish is that you can add almost anything you want, and it will still taste wonderful. It's a great idea for getting rid of various vegetables from the fridge.
I love my foods especially spicy, because I think that spice gives everything a nice kick, so I went ahead and added in some chili oil (this step is definitely optional). My boyfriend loves peas, so I threw some of those in as well. I found some hot dogs and a can of spam in the fridge, threw them in too, and voila! I've whipped up some spicy Kimchi fried rice.Cooking Directions:
- Heat oil in a large frying pot, and throw in spam and hot dogs. Cook thoroughly, about 5-7 minutes on med-high heat.
- Throw in garlic, onions, and shallots. Cook until onions and garlic has browned.
- Toss in frozen peas.
- Add rice and chili paste. Mix thoroughly.
- Add kimchi and chili oil. Mix well. If you feel that the rice is too dry, you can always add in extra kimchi juice straight from the jar. Try not to overdo it though.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Fry an egg in a separate frying pan and lay on top of rice (or you can even mix it into the rice).
- Garnish with spring onions and serve.
This recipe makes a lot of extra left overs, which is great for me because I can bring it to work the next day for lunch, and maybe 2 days after that as well. I can never get tired of this, especially now that it's got that extra spiciness to it. Yum!