This was my first time cooking with gooseberries, and it turned out rather well I think. An interesting, tasty pie.
- Crush half of the berries in the bottom of a medium saucepan.
- Combine sugar, tapioca, salt, and spices. Mix into the crushed berries.
- Cook berries until thick and bubbly. Cook 2 minutes more.
- Add remaining whole berries to the saucepan. Mix briefly.
- Turn berries into pie shell. Dot the top with butter, seal the top and flute.
- Bake for 35 minutes at 400° F. Let cool before serving.