Calas are a traditional New Orleans breakfast dish, and a perfect way to use up leftover rice. This recipe is a quick version with baking powder, since calas are traditionally made with yeast. A very tasty recipe. Enjoy!
- Beat the eggs, sugar, and vanilla together until bright yellow and foamy. Add water and beat well.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg. Add to egg mixture and beat well with a whisk.
- Add rice and make sure all the kernels are covered.
- In a heavy skillet or large saucepan heat about 1-1 1/2 inches of oil (should be heated to about 390° F).
- Scoop large spoonfuls of batter into the hot oil and fry until a nice, golden crust appears on all sides.
- Eat immediately with a generous sprinkling of powdered sugar on top.