This is a traditional food for a Chinese festival called Duan Wu Jie which falls on 5th May of Chinese calendar..It's hard to find Zhongzi in the UK that I decided to make myself this year - all this while I was the wrapper & mum cooked for the filling..so I called home & asked for the recipe... :)
I found this website teaching how to wrap dumpling..Very much helpful if you wish to give it a try. http://www.spike.com/video/wrapping-rice/2883703?cid=YSSP
Wrapping dumpling could be a challenging task but fun to me...I love wrapping dumpling!
- Marinate pork with light soy sauce, 1 1/2 tbsp dark soy sauce, 1 tsp five spice powder, sugar, salt & pepper for 2-3 hours.
- Heat oil in a saucepan, fry shallots till fragrant before adding marinated pork. Stir-fry till pork is cooked.
- Pour into a bowl & leave it cool.
- Heat oil & stir well glutinous rice with 1 tbsp dark soy sauce, black-eyed peas, 1 tsp five spice powder & salt to taste for about 3-5mins. Pour into a big bowl & leave it cool.
- Take 2 pieces of bamboo leaves, put on top of another, fold them from middle & twist both ends up forming a pouch.
- Fill the pouch with 2 tbsp of glutinous rice, top with 1 tbsp fried pork, 2 pcs of mushrooms, some dried shrimps & 1 pc salted egg yolk.
- Complete the task with 2 tbsp glutinous rice, hold the pouch tight & close the leaves. Tie it with string & make sure the dumpling is securely wrapped.
- Repeat steps till ingredients used up.
- Fill a large deep pot with water (the water should be able to cover the dumplings by 3 inches), bring to boil.
- Add a tsp salt into the water. Then put dumplings in it & keep boiling for 3 hours.
- Drain the cooked dumplings and serve hot.