I don't have much of a sweet tooth, so I'm always trying savory variations of popular recipes, like Tex Mex Scones and these Zucchini Madeleines. It's worth splurging to get non-stick madeleine pans to make these!
- In a large bowl, mix zucchini with salt. Let stand until limp and liquid has drained from it, about 30 minutes. Rinse well; drain, squeezing out as much water as possible.
- Meanwhile, put 2 T. of the oil into a frying pan on medium-high heat. Add onion, stirring occasionally, until limp and lightly browned. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir flour with baking powder. In a separate bowl, whisk until blended eggs, milk, remaining oil, cheese, garlic, basil and pepper.
- Add zucchini and onion and mix well. Stir zucchini into flour mixture until evenly moistened.
- Butter and flour madeleine pans or small muffin pans. (even if you have non-stick pans)
- Spoon batter into pans, filling to rims. Bake in a 400 degree oven until puffed and lightly browned, about 15-20 minutes. Cool about 5 minutes, then invert pans to remove; use a spatula to loosen them gently, if necessary.
- Serve hot or at room temperature. Makes 2 dozen.