Onigiri is one of my favorite snack foods ever. I threw this in my bento one day and enjoyed it so much i wanted to share.
- Cook rice according to the package instructions. Allow to cool, just enough to handle.
- Grab a bowl, fill halfway with water; you should wet your hands at intervals to avoid rice sticking to you. Sprinkle a bit of salt on to your palms and scoop out some rice.
- Mold your onigiris into whatever shape you like, but make sure there are two flat sides so that it sits in the pan.
- Heat a skillet, medium to medium high. Use a little cooking spray if you're worried about sticking.
- Using a brush, coat one side of your onigiri with kecap manis. Lay this side down in your pan. It should sizzle as soon as it touches.
- After 2 or 3 minutes, brush the top with kecap manis and flip the onigiri. Let sizzle another 2 minutes or so.
- Remove from the heat and shake a little furikake on top - I used wasabi.
Serve with pieces of nori, sprinkle with extra sesame seeds if you like. Toast the sesame seeds first for a little extra something. Enjoy!