- 4 oz self-raising flour (110 g), sifted
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 oz butter (110 g)
- 4 oz sugar (110 g)
- 2 eggs
- 3 drops of vanilla essence
for the icing:
- 1 - 2 oz butter
- powdered sugar
- some craisins
I baked this cake for a freind whose still in the pregnant belly of his mama. She's due next week, so this was a little something special to celebrate the occasion before it happens!
It only takes about an hour to make (including 30 min in the oven), however I was extra particular with positioning the craisins, which can require more time.
1. preheat the oven to 325 Farenhieght (170 C)
2. Sift the flour and baking powder into a large mixing bowl.
3. Add the other ingredients (except for the craisins and powdered sugar), then whisk them thoroughly. If a glob of the mixture doesn't easily fall off the spoon when tapped, you should add some water and whisk again.
4. Put the mixture into a lightly greased, 7-inch sponge tin and pop in the oven for about 30 mins.
5. While the cake is in the oven, prepare some butter cream by whisking 1 or 2 oz butter with powdered sugar (according to taste) in a bowl.
6. After 30 mins, pull cake out of oven, and immediately remove from the tin. You should let the cake cool down before you put the butter cream on it, otherwise the cream melts all over the place. If pressed for time, bung it in the freezer for 10 mins.
7. Slather the butter cream in a smooth, even layer on the top of the cake. Then, if you want, sprinkle some more powdered sugar (using a seive) on top of this.
8. Finally, use the craisins to create any message of your liking.