- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- scant 1 1/2 cups medium rolled oats
- 4 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup vegan butter, diced
- 2/3 cup light corn syrup
- 4 large or 5 medium bananas, very ripe, mashed
- confectioner's sugar to decorate (optional)
Inspired by Banana Ginger Parkin recipe in *The Cookie and Biscuit Bible.* I like making vegan versions of desserts, and this turned out amazing. You could add nuts, if you like, but I opted not to.
1. Preheat the oven to 325 F. Grease and line a 7x11" inch cake pan.
2. Sift together the flour, baking soda and ground ginger in a mixing bowl, then stir in the oats.
3. Melt the sugar, vegan butter and syrup in a pan over a low heat. Stir mixture until well blended, then stir into the flour mixture. Beat in the mashed bananas.
4. Spoon the mixture into the pan and bake for about an hour, or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Leave the parkin to cool in the tin, then turn it out onto a plate or clean work surface and cut into squares.
5. Dust with confectioner's sugar, aka powdered sugar, if so desired, and serve. The parkin will keep well in a covered, airtight container for 4-5 days at room temperature.