When I need a baking fix without the drama, I make toasted muesli. It fills the kitchen with that familiar aroma, but is extremely quick to make and almost impossible to fail. The result is actually good for you too, as there is no sugar! This recipe makes quite a bit, so you can store it to eat over a few days. Delicious with yogurt and soy milk.
1. Chop almonds, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds roughly. If you like lots of bits in your muesli, you can skip this step and leave them whole. Preheat oven to 160 deg celcius.
2. Heat gently in a milk pan the oil, syrups, vanilla extract and salt. This helps the salt to dissolve and loosen the syrups for easy mixing. Allow to cool.
3. In a large bowl, put in the oats, nuts and seeds. Stir to mix. Add the oil-syrup mixture and stir into the dry mixture at the same time.
4. When the muesli has been evenly coated, pour it into a large baking tray lined with parchment. You might need two baking trays. The muesli should be spread out into a thin layer so it crisps up nicely in the oven.
5. Bake for around 45 - 60 minutes in the oven, but stir the mixture a few times during baking to ensure even browning.
6. When done, allow to cool and break up any large pieces. Stir in dried fruits or you can leave it plain and eat it with fresh fruits.