- 1 box of white or funfetti cake mix
- vanilla frosting
- food colors
- cupcake pan liners
- 1 cup shortening or butter
- 1 pound of powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp water or milk
- pinch of salt dissolved in water: optional
- 2 tsp flavoring: vanilla, almond, butter, etc..
- Pre heat oven to 350 degrees for convential ovens and 325 for convection ovens.
- Make cake mix according to instructions on box separate evenly into three bowls.
- Color each bowl a different color. I use red, green, and yellow.
- Layer colors in cupcake liners and swirl with a tooth pick. Bake for 20-30 minutes rotating the pan after 10-15 minutes.
- Beat shortening or butter until smooth and soft with water and flavoring.
- Add sugar and beat for 2 minutes or until throughly incorporated. You may need to add 1 or 2 more tbsp of liquid. Makes 3 cups of icing
- Separate 1/2 of icing into three bowls and color them however you like!
- Take a spatula and heavily stripe the inside of a large pastry bag, fitted with a large star tip, with the colors.
- Once the bag is striped the way you like fill the bag with white icing until the bag is filled halfway.
- Swirl icing on top of cooled cupcakes.
- Top cupcakes with sprinkles or a smiley face. :D