For an 8-inch pie:
1 6oz rump or stewing steak, cubed
1 sweet potato, cubed
1 small yellow pepper, chopped
Small red onion, chopped
1/3 pint hot beef stock
1 tsp grated ginger
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp rosemary
275g plain flour, sifted
200g unsalted cold butter, cubed
1 medium egg yolk, beaten
1 tsp salt
Bit of cold water
275g pre-made shortcrust pastry
If you're using pre-made pastry, skip straight to step 3. Take the pastry out the fridge 10 minutes before rolling out.
1) Rub the flour, salt and butter in a large bowl until it goes to a breadcrumb mixture.
2) Pour in the egg yolk, and mix until it forms a dough. Knead into a ball, wrap in clingfilm and refridgerate for at least 30 minutes.
3) Brown the steak cubes, then remove from the pan.
4) Fry the ginger, garlic and onion, followed by the potatoes, pepper and stock.
5) Bring to the boil, then leave to simmer for about 15 minutes. Return the steak to the pan for the last 5 minutes.
6) Preheat oven to 200 degrees C. Cut a third of the pastry and set aside. Roll out the larger piece on a floured surface and line the bottom of a pie dish.
7) Add the steak mixture to the pie, then roll out the remaining third of the pastry to top the pie, sealing the edges.
8) Prick a few steam holes through the pastry top then place in the oven for 30-40 minutes until crispy and brown.