- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add enough to cover the meat, but OMIT adding salt.
- While waiting for the water to boil, prepare the spice mixture in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, prepare the sauce mixture.
- Rinse the meat under cold water. When the water is boiling, flash boil the meat. Drain and set aside.
- Cut into wedges, tomatoes and onions. Then slice ginger into 3 large pieces.
- Smash and peel the garlic. Cut the green onions into thirds.
- Heat oil in a large pot and add the garlic and ginger. After a few fragrant seconds, add the onions and tomatoes.
- Pour the sauce mixture into the pot and stir. Then add the bowl of spices.
- Pour 6 cups of water into the pot. Add the green onions (save one stalk for garnish) and the meat.
- Bring the soup to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cover. Cook for at least 3.5 hours, and 4 - 6 hours for more tender meat.
Half an Hour Before Feasting Time:
- Taste your broth. If you want more tingly and numbing sensation,
add Sichuan peppercorns. Extra spiciness, increase chili oil. Too
salty? Add a little broth or water. Not salty enough? Add more soy
- Blanche the bok choy in another pot. Drain and set aside. Cook the
noodles in another pot (portions similar to spaghetti). Prepare garnish: mince green onions and pick cilantro leaves.
- Finally, prepare to eat! Pour soup through a sieve. Set aside. Then pull or slice meat for each serving.
- Get soup bowls out, add noodles, bok choy, beef, and soup. Garnish with cilantro and green onions.