2 cups heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/3 cup maple syrup
1. For cake, use a whisk to beat egg yolks and sugar. Set aside.
2. With an electric mixer, whip egg whites until they reach soft peaks.
3. Mix baking soda, ginger, allspice, cinnamon and ground walnuts into egg yolk mixture. Then, add 1/3 of the egg whites to the egg yolk mixture, softly folding a couple of times.
4. Fold in remaining whites using just a few strokes, being sure to combine the mixture fairly well.
5. Line a 9”x13” baking sheet with parchment paper and spray with floured baking spray. Spread batter evenly on cookie sheet. Bake for 15-20 minutes in a preheated oven at 350 degrees. Cool cake completely once done.
6. As cake cools, pour cream into the bowl of an electric mixer and whip on medium high speed until it just begins to thicken. Add vanilla, cinnamon and maple syrup and continue to mix until thickened, but not clumpy. Scrape into a bowl, cover and chill until cake has cooled completely.
7. Once ready to frost, evenly spread about half to three-quarters of the whipped cream over the top of the cake. Starting from shortest end, carefully roll the cake into a cylinder form and move to a serving platter. Dust with powdered sugar if desired.