- 200g good quality Smoked Trout
- 1 tsp mustard seeds, crushed
- 1-2 shallots (2 small ones, or one larger one)
- small handful of rocket, very finely chopped
- 1 tbsp coursely chopped dill, plus a couple of sprigs to decorate
- 2 tbsp creme fraiche
- about 20ml lemon juice
- half a cucumber, cut into even sticks
- crusty brown bread
This is a great dinner party starter - super easy and you can do everything in advance, in fact you should because it's better if the mixture is given a little while to sit.
It looks great on the plate and is perfect served with a slice or two of toasted crusty brown bread.
You can of course use smoked salmon but I like the subtlety of the trout.
This will serve 2.
1. Finely cut the trout into very small pieces/squares.
2. Add trout to a mixing bowl along with the shallots, dill, rocket, mustard seeds and lemon juice. Season with black pepper.
3. Mix well, push down to compress and cover with clingfilm. Refrigerate until serving.
4. To serve, fill a small circular mould with half the mixture, pressing down slightly with the back of a spoon to make it sit evenly.
5. Top with the sliced cucumber.
6. Finish with a tablespoon of creme fraiche, a sprig of dill and some cracked black pepper.