Beer Can Chicken.
Got myself a new grill and the first dish came out dandy!
- whole chicken (insides taken out and cleaned)
- can of beer (probably good to use a lager)
- couple tablespoons of light vegetable oil
- salt and pepper
for the rub:
- you can use your favorite dry rub
- brown sugar
- korean red pepper flakes (kochukaru)
1. prepare grill for indirect cooking (leave an area in center of the grill coal free and have something to catch the oil to avoid flareups).
2. wash chicken and pat down with paper towels.
3. rub salt and pepper all over and inside chicken.
4. open can of beer.
5. take a few good chugs until the can is half empty (or half full, depending on your outlook on life).
6. place beer can inside so that the open end is inside.
7. stand chicken with beer can as a base (see picture).
8. coat chicken with oil. and then rub your seasoning/sauce over the chicken.
9. place chicken on grill in the center and close lid and cook for about 1 hour and 20 minutes.
10. use thermometer in the deepest part of the thigh to check for cooked temperature of 180 F (82 C).
11. take off of grill, remove can (trash it) and let rest for 10 minutes before carving and serving.