- Place a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Add butter, onions, and sausage to the pan and cook for 5 minutes, or until the onions are translucent.
- Pour in the milk and bring to a simmer. Slowly whisk in the grits to avoid lumps.
- Bring the milk back to a boil, turn down the heat to low and continue to slowly simmer, stirring frequently for 1.5 hours, or until smooth and creamy.
- Season with salt and pepper. Keep hot until ready to serve.
- Place a large saute pan over high heat. Add the clarified butter and the garlic and stir constantly until golden brown.
- Add the leeks and stir and cook for 1 more minute. Add the mushrooms and tomatoes and continue to saute for 3 more minutes.
- Remove the pan from the stove and add Cognac. Flame and continue to cook for 1 more minute.
- Add the shrimp stock and veal stock and reduce to sauce consistency and add shrimp.
- Add the thyme and slowly add in the butter, then season with salt and pepper.
To serve, place the grits in the center of a hot bowl and spoon the shrimp ragout over the top. Garnish with chives and a sprig of thyme if desired.