- 3 1/2 cups clam juice
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Pinch of saffron
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 pound scallops
- Kosher salt
- 4 to 6 ounces squid, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 10 garlic cloves minced
- 2 large, ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1 3/4 cups Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, minced.
- 12 small littleneck clams, scrubbed
- 12 jumbo shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 3 chorizo sausages
- 2 lemons, cut into wedges
I've done this recipe with lobster, mussels, white fish as well. You can pretty much add and subtract seafood you like.
1. preheat oven to 425 degrees. Bring clam juice, water, and saffron to a slow simmer in saucepan.
2. In a skillet or BBQ, grill sausages. In a paella pan, sear scallops with 1 tbsp of olive oil (1 to 2 min) and set aside.
3. Add the squid & 1 tbsp of oil to the pan, stirring, until just seared (about 2 minutes), seasoning it with salt.
4. Add last tbsp of oil, tomatoes, and garlic and cook in low heat until thickened (5 to 7 minutes). Add the paprika and stir for a few seconds.
5. Add rice to the paella pan and stir it gently to coat with the pan mixture. Pour in 3 1/2 cups of the simmering stock, keeping the remaining stock simmering in case it is needed later. Stir in the parsley and a sprinkling of salt, Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes. Stir pan frequently to prevent rice from burning on the bottom of the pan.
6. Press the clams and the scallops into the top of the rice and cook until the cooking liquid is almost level with the rice but the rice is still rather soupy, another 2 to 3 minutes. If the liquid is absorbed too fast and the rice still seems too raw, sprinkle on some more stock.
6. Transfer the paella pan to the oven and bake until the clams open and the rice is tender but still a little al dente, about 15 minutes. Check the paella a few times and sprinkle more stock over the rice if it seems too al dente. Remove the paella from the oven and let stand, discard any clams that have not opened.
7. While the rice is standing, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over high heat. Stir-fry the shrimp.
8. Add the shrimp and sliced sausages to pan and serve.