- 2 c. flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. allspice
- 1 tsp. ground cloves
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
- 2 c. sugar
- 1 1/2 c. oil
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 c. dark rum
- 1 tsp. grated lemon or orange zest
- 16 oz. grated raw carrots - about 4 cups
- 1/2 c. chopped walnuts
My son fancies himself a pirate, so for his birthday I made an entire menu based on Rum, including this cake.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 10 inch bundt pan or 10 mini bundts. In a mixing bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and spices.
2. In a separate large mixing bowl, beat sugar and oil with electric mixer until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, and beat for 2-3 minutes. Add rum and zest.
3. Stir in flour mixture 1/2 cup at a time. Using a spatula, add carrots and walnuts, and mix until well blended.
4. Turn batter into prepared pan(s). Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Remove cake from oven and allow to cool in pan. Remove cake from pan and frost.
Rum Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 6 Tbsp. butter, softened
- 3 Tbsp. rum
- 1 box (16 oz.) confectioners' sugar
1. Using an electric mixer, blend cream cheese and butter until smooth, then add rum.
2. Add sugar 1/2 cup at a time. Drip frosting over cooling cake.