- Marinate beef with black pepper, salt, cornstarch and five spice in airtight ziplock bag in fridge, for at least 30 mins
- Soak dried mushrooms in small amount of water. Reserve liquid for later use!
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in wok on low heat, when hot, sweat the onion for about 15 minutes.
- While waiting for beef to marinate and onion to sweat, prepare the ginger, garlic, and carrots.
- Remove onions and set aside.
- Heat remaining 2 tbsp cooking oil over medium-high heat.
- Stir-fry ginger and garlic till fragrant.
- Stir-fry beef till browned on all sides and 70% cooked.
- Place onions and dried mushrooms in wok and give a few quick stirs to mix.
- You can transfer to a claypot or continue cooking in the wok at this point.
- Add water, reserved mushroom soaking water, soy sauce, rice wine, peppercorns and mix well.
- Turn heat on high till it comes to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 hour, uncovered.
- Put in carrots and simmer for another 30 minutes or until carrots are tender.
** Stir occasionally to prevent ingredients from burning at the bottom,
and add water if it dries up too much in the cooking process.
** You may wish to thicken the sauce - stir cornstarch in cold water till dissolved, and stir in the cornstarch mixture and let cool to thicken.
Serve: Serve over noodles or pasta, or just have it with rice!