Here's a simple rice cake recipe I like to use when I crave.
If you want a fruit flavoured mochi, say, mango or pineapple, I'd substitute a fruit juice instead of water.
- In a big mixing bowl, mix the flour and sugar in. Then pour the water. Mix well.
- When it is all mixed, put in the microwave for about 5 minutes. (on the highest setting).
- Remove from microwave, mix the dough with a wooden spoon and let it cool a bit. On the chopping board, dust it with the potato starch and icing sugar.
- Roll out the dough when it's semi-warm, then cut into pieces. In separate plates/bowls, roll the mochi in either a cocoa/icing sugar mix or a icing sugar/starch mix.
- Set aside and enjoy. Store in an airtight container.
They do get stiff in time, so when you do store it in a fridge, if you want it to get back to it's chewy consistency ... microwave it for a minute or so.. this seems to happen with some other rice cakes too. (Even the ones we buy in store). Haha, so yeah.