I made this for the first time tonight. It is a traditional English pudding which should only be made if you have a seriously sweet tooth. It is essentially a layer of jam sitting underneath a custard made with breadcrumbs which is finished off with a top layer of meringue. You can reduce the jam content if you wish - just make sure that there is enough to cover the bottom of the baking dish!
1. Preheat the oven to 150 C.
2. Butter a deep baking dish, at least 1.5L capacity. Spread with jam.
3. Heat the milk with the lemon rind until just before boiling-point.
4. Beat one whole egg and three egg yolks with 1/3 cup of sugar. Add the vanilla.
5. Discard the lemon rind and whisk the warm milk into the egg-sugar mixture.
6. Stir in the breadcrumbs and let sit 5 minutes.
7. Pour the breadcrumb-custard mixture over the jam and bake for 45-60 mins. The custard should be set but still a bit wobbly in the middle.
8. Beat the three eggwhites and gradually add the 2/3 cup of sugar until you achieve a thick, glossy appearance.
9. Turn up the heat to 190 C, swirl meringue attractively on top of the custard layer and bake for another 10 minutes.