This is a bare bones, yet hearty recipe for a simple potato soup. Tweak it how you like. Some of my friends for example like to garnish with shredded cheese. Use your imagination.
- Peel and dice the potatoes; boil until fork-tender. Drain the potatoes and set aside.
- Melt the butter over medium heat, add the onions and sautee until golden. Add the flour and mix well.
- Add the cream, milk, and chicken stock; bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat to a simmer and add the tasso (optional), thyme, and saffron (optional). Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the potatoes; cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the salt, black pepper, and cayenne to taste. If using bacon instead of tasso, add now.
- Enjoy immediately.