- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- If you don't have a gratin dish, use a regular baking dish. Rub the inside of the dish with the garlic.
- Layer half the potatoes in the dish.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Sprinkle on half the cheese.
- Pour half the cream over the potato/cheese layer.
- Repeat with a second layer.
- Bake, uncovered, for 50-60 minutes until the top is crisp and golden brown. Keep checking to make sure it doesn't burn.
If you cut the recipe in half, bake for 30-40 minutes.