A. Springs Roll Wrappers or used ready made Springs Roll Wrappers sold at shop.
1) 250g plain flour
2) 1 tbsp tapioca flour
3) ½ tspp baking powder
4) 2 tbsp corn oil
5) 1 large egg lightly beaten
6) 525ml plain water
1) 3 cup mix vegetable
2) Chinese lettuce
3) 50g prawns
4) ¼ minced meats
5) 350g turnips - chopped
6) 2 eggs
7) ½ tsp light soy
8) White pepper
10) 1 tsp chopped shallots
11) 1 tsp chopped garlic
12) Cooking oil for frying
100g sweet chili sauce (to taste).
50g red chilies, washed and pounded or blend.
1 pc garlic
100g Sesame seeds – fry without oil.
2 tbsp plain water
A. Springs Roll Skin:
1) Sift together the dry ingredients.
2) Mix in the rest of the ingredients.
3) Knead the dough. It should have a bouncy texture, and should stick to your hand.
4) Heat up a wok, without oil, and make sure to use a non stick pan, as it is easier.
5) When the wok is hot, spread the dough around the wok in a thin layer (use your hand as the dough is still sticking to it).
6) Size is about 6 inches.Remove when cooked (roughly around 30 seconds).
1) Heat oil and fry garlic till fragrant.
2) Add in meat, mix vegetable, soya sauce, salt, pepper, turnip and prawns, fry till soft.
3) Whisked lightly eggs and add in.
4) Reduced heat and till gravy is almost dry. Put aside to cool.
C. Sweet Sauce:
1) Grind fresh red chili, garlic in blender.
2) Fry blended chilies a while, add in sweet chili sauce.
3) Add in plain water.
4) Stir well until thick then toss in sesame seeds. Put a side.
To roll popiah:
1) Place 1 pc of Chinese lettuce onto the skin.
2) Place 2 tablespoon of the filling onto the lettuce.
3) Fold left and right end corners and continue rolling tightly until the end. Paste with cornstarch glue*.
*50g cornstarch mixed with 2 tbsp warm water(to make glue).
4) Fry in a deep frying oil until golden light brown.Toss and serve while hot.