YUMMMM! Pizza soup-- kind of like a fusion of french onion soup and vegetable soup! I was watching a TV show one day and I watched about 5 minutes of it before I had to go... my pizza soup version has more vegetables and has all the food groups! (Grains for bread, meat for pepperoni, veggies and tomatoes for fruit!) It's not that long to make either... you can freeze it and reheat.
Added carrots because it's easy way to sneak veggies into the soup (if you didn't add peppers and mushrooms) without the kids noticing.. bwaha.
- Preheat your broiler.
- In your pot, heat it up and add olive oil. Fry your onions and garlic.
- Add the green peppers and mushroom, then add your can of tomatoes. Crush the tomatoes in your pot.
- Add chicken stock and tomato paste. Let it simmer for a bit, then add your oregano, grated carrot and pepperoni or any veggies you have remaining.
- Simmer some more and add some S&P to taste.
- Put into onion soup bowls, cut circles of bread and put grated mozarella (or gruyere) cheese on top of the circled bread. Put the bread on top of soup and broil it until the cheese has melted.
Broil the bread + cheese much longer for a nice textural crisp... I was in a hurry to eat mine, sooo mine was a tad soft still. :)