The sauce for this is amazing and would be great with pan-fried pheasant breasts as well, or rabbit.
Here I served it with mustard mash and also some winter vegetables (carrots & savoy cabbage).
- To roast the pheasant, follow the instructions on your packet, or from the butcher. Commonly it will take about an hour at 200 degrees C.
- For the sauce, fry the shallots for 2-3 minutes on a medium-high heat, constantly stirring until translucent.
- Add the bacon and continue cooking, stirring occasionally. Cook for 2-3 further minutes until cooked and just beginning to brown.
- Add the prunes, wine & stock.
- Gently reduce until sauce is relatively thick - as it reduces, skim off any skin that forms on the top of the sauce.
- To finish the sauce, whisk in the butter just before serving. It will amalgamate the sauce and give it a lovely, glossy finish.