Salpicão de Frango - Chicken and Potato Salad Recipe
Copy & Paste into your blog!
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts*
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 4 slices of lean cooked ham, cut into thin strips (deli-sliced ham works well)
- 1/2 c. fresh or frozen and thawed green peas
- 2 large carrots, coarsely grated or cut into short, thin sticks
- 1 green apple, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 c. canned hearts of palm, drained and chopped into ¥-inch pieces
- 1/2 c. regular or reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 3 medium potatoes
- vegetable oil for frying
How to make Salpicão de Frango - Chicken and Potato Salad
Wash chicken under cool running water and pat dry. Cut into ¥-inch cubes.
In a heavy saucepan or skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken, salt, and pepper and cook 10 to 15 minutes, or until chicken is lightly browned and cooked all the way through. Remove from heat.
In a large bowl, combine the chicken, ham, peas, carrots, apple, and hearts of palm. Add mayonnaise and mix well.
Wash and peel potatoes. Grate or cut potatoes into long, thin strips. Pour about an inch of vegetable oil into a large frying pan or stockpot and heat to 350°F, or until a drop of water flicked into the pan jumps out.
- After handling raw chicken or other poultry, always remember to thoroughly wash your hands, utensils, and preparation area with hot, soapy water. Also, when checking chicken for doneness, it’s a good idea to cut it open gently to make sure the meat is white (not pink) all the way through.
-Also, to save time you may want to use a cup or two of packaged shoestring potatoes instead of frying your own.