Choux à la Crème - Cream puff Recipe
Copy & Paste into your blog!
All Rights Reserved
For the cream puff dough (pâte à choux)
Whole milk - 125 ml
Water - 125 ml
Butter - 110gr - cut into small pieces
Sugar - ¼ teaspoon
Salt - ¼ teaspoon
All-purpose flour - 140gr
5 large eggs, at room temperature
For the cream custard (crème pâtissière)
Milk - 300ml
Sugar - 40gr
Egg yolks - 3
Flour - 50gr
Salt - 1/4 ts
Vanilla - 1 tsp
How to make Choux à la Crème - Cream puff
- In a heavy bottomed medium saucepan, bring the milk, water, butter, sugar and salt to the boil.
- Once the mixture is at a rolling boil, add all of the flour at once, reduce the heat to medium and start to stir the mixture vigorously
The dough comes together very quickly. Do not worry if a slight crust forms at the bottom of the pan, it’s supposed to.
You need to carry on stirring for a further 2-3 minutes to dry the dough. After this time the dough will be very soft and smooth. (And it will have pulled away from the sides of the pan.)
- Transfer the dough into a bowl of a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or use your handmixer instead.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each egg has been added to incorporate it into the dough.
You will notice that after you have added the first egg, the dough will separate, once again do not worry. As you keep working the dough, it will come back all together again by the time you have added the third egg.
In the end the dough should be thick and shiny and when lifted it should fall back into the bowl in a ribbon.
- Oven 190C degrees
- Fill a large pastry bag fitted with a 2/3 (2cm) plain tip nozzle with the warm cream puff dough. (Alternatively, you could use a heavy-duty ziploc bag and snip a chunk off the corner to squeeze the batter out.)
- Pipe the dough onto the baking sheets into any shapes that u prefer (the classical choux or eclairs, or any other shapes - hearts, stars, letters, etc.). Remember to leave space in between each to allow the choux to puff.
- Bake in the oven for about 20 mins, when the choux have “puffed” and nicely browned.
- Cook all the ingredients together, low heat, stirring continously until the liquid gets thickend n u get a smooth mixture that .. looks like cream Remember to set low heat or the mixture’s gonna get burnt very easily.
- Once everything’s done, half the choux horizontally, add the cream, n take a bite B-)