Indian Naan bread with Tandoori chicken Recipe
Copy & Paste into your blog!
All Rights Reserved
1lb white flour
1oz dried yeast
1 tsp nigella seed ( charnushka or kanolfi seed)
6 tbsp plain yogurt
2 tbsp ghee or melted butter
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
3/4 cup warm water
oil or ghee to coat
For the Tandoori chicken:
2 pounds chicken, cut into pieces
1 teaspoon salt
1 lemon, juiced
1 1/4 cups plain yogurt
1/2 onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger root
2 teaspoons garam masala
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon yellow food coloring
1 teaspoon red food coloring
2 teaspoons finely chopped cilantro
1 lemon, cut into wedges
How to make Indian Naan bread with Tandoori chicken
For the bread naan:
1. Dissolve sugar in warm water.
2. Add yeast. Yeast should froth, if it doesn't, start over with fresh yeast.
3. In a seperate bowl, sift salt with flour and add nigella seeds.
4. Make a well in the centre and add yoghurt, ghee and yeast mixture.
5. Knead well until it forms a dough. Shape into a ball. If dough is sticky, add more flour until elastic.
6. Coat a seperate bowl with oil or ghee and roll dough into it until fully coated.
7. Shake off excess oil and cover with damp tea-towel or cloth.
8. After 2 or 3 hours, dough should have doubled in size. This happens best in a warm place.
9. Knead the dough and divide into around 6 equal portions. Flatten and mould into typical 'pear' shape naan.
10. Preheat oven to 450oF/230oC and bake for 10 mins. Brush with ghee or butter and serve with Tandoori chicken and lentil curry soup.
For the chicken:
1. Remove skin from chicken pieces, and cut slits into them lengthwise. Place in a shallow dish. sprinkle both sides of chicken with salt and lemon juice. Set aside 20 minutes.
2. In a medium bowl, combine yogurt, onion, garlic, ginger, garam masala, and cayenne pepper. Mix until smooth. Stir in yellow and red food coloring. Spread yogurt mixture over chicken. Cover, and refrigerate for 6 to 24 hours (the longer the better).
3. Preheat an outdoor grill for medium high heat, and lightly oil grate.
4. Cook chicken on grill until no longer pink and juices run clear. Garnish with cilantro and lemon wedges.