German Pork Knuckles (Schweinshaxe) Recipe
Copy & Paste into your blog!
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License
- 1 pork knuckle (pork hocks, not the hooves)
- 1/2 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon five-spice powder
- thyme (optional)
- ground black pepper
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup red wine (i used vodka)
- 4 slices of ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
How to make German Pork Knuckles (Schweinshaxe)
- Combine all the ingredients (except the knuckles) into a container and mix well.
the washed pork knuckles in your container and marinate/brine for 7
days (refrigerate, flipping the knuckles once everyday).
- if 1/2 cup of wine isn't enough, just add enough water to cover half of the knuckles.
- After 7 days, boil the knuckles (along with the marinade) in water and simmer for 45 minutes (remove the dirty foam as it boils).
- Refrigerate the boiled knuckles for another day.
- Bake at gas mark 5 (190ºC, 375ºF) for one hour or until it's nice and crispy.
- Serve with mashed potatoes and sauerkraut.