Classic Croissants Recipe
Copy & Paste into your blog!
All Rights Reserved
-1 packet yeast -3 tsp warm water -5 tsp sugar -1 tsp kosher salt -2 1/4 tsp milk -1 1/4 tbsp unsalted butter -1/4 cup water -1/4 cup milk -2 cups all purpose flour -1/2 stick unsalted butter (softened) -1 egg (for eggwash)
-1 large mixing bowl -electric mixer (if you prefer)or mixing spoon -saucepan -baking dish -baking sheet -small bowl -pastry brush
How to make Classic Croissants
This recipe is for simple, rustic croissants that are able to accompany any dinner whether it be for the holidays or an everyday home-cooked meal. These croissants are sure to please any palate.
- Take unsalted butter out of fridge to soften.
- Dissolve the yeast in the warm water. In a large mixing bowl dissolve the sugar, salt, and milk together.
- In a saucepan, dissolve the butter in the water and milk over medium-low heat.
- Add the flour to the large mixing bowl that contains the sugar/salt/milk mixture. Mix to combine.
- Add the butter/water/milk mixture to the large mixing bowl and stir for one minute.
- Add the dissolved yeast to the mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- Cover the bowl with plastic-wrap and let rise for one hour.
- Flour a baking dish and place dough in. Cover the bottom of the dish with the dough and cover the dough with plastic-wrap; place in fridge for twenty minutes.
- Lightly flour working surface and roll dough into a rectangle. Cover 2/3 of dough with half of the butter and fold dough inward starting with the part that has not been buttered.
- Roll dough into a rectangle. If any butter "pokes through" lightly flour the dough and continue rolling it out.
- Cover with the remaining butter as before, fold, then roll out again.
- Place dough in baking dish, cover it with plastic-wrap and place it in the fridge for twenty minutes.
- Place dough onto lightly floured work surface and roll dough out until very thin. Cut dough lengthwise (do NOT use a serrated knife or drag knife to cut the dough) then cut dough into large triangles.
- Take one triangle at a time and starting from the base roll to the top of the triangle to form the crescent shape. If you wish you can fold the "legs" of the croissant in.
- Lightly butter a baking sheet and place croissants on it. Cover croissants with plastic-wrap and let rise for 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 475°F
- Bake croissants on middle rack for 3 minutes; then bring the heat down to 400°F and bake for 10-13 minutes or until the croissants are a light golden brown.
- Let croissants cool for 2-3 minutes before eating.