Honey-Mustard Chicken and Apples Recipe
Copy & Paste into your blog!
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License
- 8 skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs (2 to 2 1/2 pounds)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, cut into large chunks
- 2 cooking apples (such as Cortland), cut into chunks
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 to 3 tablespoons honey mustard
- 1 1/2teaspoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 to 2 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh parsley
How to make Honey-Mustard Chicken and Apples
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat the olive oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches if necessary, add the chicken, skin-side down, and cook until golden, about 6 minutes. Flip and cook 2 to 3 more minutes, then transfer to a plate. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the drippings.
2. Add the onion and apples to the skillet and season with salt and pepper. Cook until slightly softened, about 4 minutes. Mix the broth with the mustard, then add to the skillet and bring to a boil. Arrange the chicken, skin-side up, in the skillet. Transfer to the oven and roast until the chicken is cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes.
3. Mix the butter and flour to form a paste. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the chicken, apples and onion to plates. Bring the pan juices to a simmer, whisk in about half of the butter-flour mixture and boil to thicken, 2 minutes. Continue to cook, adding more of the butter-flour mixture as needed to make a slightly thick gravy. Season with salt and pepper. Pour over the chicken and sprinkle with parsley.
Makes 4 servings, Difficulty: Easy
Per serving: Calories 457; Fat 28 g (Saturated 7 g); Cholesterol 122 mg; Sodium 200 mg; Carbohydrate 18 g; Fiber 2 g; Protein 33g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos