green apple salsa (makes enough for 4 servings):
- a good glug of olive oil
- 1 green apple, cored and finely chopped
- 2-3 tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 large green chilli, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 small red chilli, seeded and finely chopped (omit this if you don't want it too spicy)
- juice of half a lemon
- salt and pepper, to taste
main dish (serves 1):
- olive oil
- salmon fillet
- a squeeze of lemon juice
- portobello mushroom, sliced into big chunks
- garlic, sliced
- a splash of balsamic vinegar
- mash potato
- wasabi (i use the tube one which you can get off the shelves in supermarket)
- small asparagus
- salt and pepper
this is a simple dish to make. the tart green apple salsa goes really well with chicken too. excellent as a dip for corn chips. you can also use it as a topping for bruschetta or crostini.
1) mix together all the ingredients for the salsa. this can be made in advance to let the flavours develope.
2) marinate salmon fillet with olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. pan-fry fillet, leaving the centre pink if you like. keep warm in the oven.
3) stir some butter and milk into mash potatos and then add in wasabi to your taste.
4) heat olive oil in pan and saute mushrooms with sliced garlic and balsamic vinegar. season with salt and pepper.
5) blanch asparagus in boiling water. alternately, you can saute it in a bit of olive oil or butter.
6) arrange mash potato, asparagus, salmon and mushrooms on a plate. spoon some salsa on top. serve.