I can't stress enough how absolutely delicious this is.
The venison needs to be rare or it becomes very tough.
- To make the sauce, first fry the bacon and chopped shallot in a little vegetable oil, in a saucepan over a medium heat. Cook for 4 or so minutes until the bacon has a little colour.
- Add the whole shallots and mushrooms and stir well.
- Turn up the heat and deglaze the pan with the wine and stock. Once simmering, reduce the heat to low and simmer slowly for 1 hour.
- Strain the sauce through a sieve and reserve the solids. Return the liquid to the pan.
- At this point, season the steaks well and cook them on a high heat in oil and butter for about 2-3 minutes per side for rare. Remove the steaks and rest well while you finish the sauce.
- Finish the sauce by whisking in the beurre manié over a medium heat until you reach the desired thickness. It should be glossy and rich but not too thick. At this point, readd the solids to the sauce and heat through.
- To serve, slice the steaks in half horizontally and layer the meat on the sauce. I served this with mustard mash and seasonal vegetables. Enjoy!