Makes about 10-15 slices, enough for a side dish for 4 people.
I've been eating out a lot these days, so when I cook at home, I try to catch up on the vegetables. But without a lot of time to fuss with complex sauces or multi-step cooking, I've been trying to do a lot with a little.
1. Slice the daikon into 1 cm medallions.
2. Heat a large frying pan to medium and add a little bit of sesame oil, just enough to cover the surface.
3. Just before the oil starts to smoke, arrange the daikon slices in a single layer on the surface of the pan. Fry until they start to smoke slightly. The cooked surface should have dark brown marks, but not black.
5. Wait for them to smoke slightly again.
6. Remove from pan, and arrange on a paper towel to soak up a little oil (shouldn't be much). Arrange on a plate and sprinkle with a little salt.
Total time: 10-15 minutes for half a daikon