- Peel onions, quarter (or halve if small) and slice
- Heat olive oil and butter in large saute pan or dutch oven
- Lower heat to medium, and add onions
- Stir on occasion and allow onions to sweat and caramelise
- After onions have softened, deglaze with wine, stock or demi-glace
- Add bay leaves and thyme
- Turn heat to low, stir occasionally and cook till completely caramelised
- Finish with balsamic vinegar
Final cookdown takes at least 45mins, up to 2hrs depending on size of pan/pot and level of heat. Alternatives to stovetop cooking: in oven at low or slowcooker overnight.
Keep in fridge - it never lasts long enough to go bad!
- ripe camembert or brie on bread
- pan fried pork chops
- roasted potatoes or sweet potatoes
- stir in stilton cheese and serve with pasta or use as simple tart filling