To prepare a mealy pie crust:
- Mix 1 1/2 C. flour and 1/2 t. salt together, cut in 1/2 C. shortening until the consistency of coarse cornmeal.
water, it may take a little more than 3 T. Mix together with hands,
don't worry about being too gentle with this particular kind of crust.
- Roll out and place in shallow pie pan, you know the drill.
- Preheat the oven to 375° F.
- Grate the cheddar cheese into the bottom of the unbaked pie shell, covering the bottom evenly.
- Beat the eggs and heavy cream together. Add in the remaining ingredients and beat lightly to incorporate everything.
- Pour egg mixture into pie shell.
- Bake for around 40 minutes until the middle of the quiche is just set and the top starting to brown.
- Let rest for a few minutes on a wire cooling rack before slicing. Eat hot or cold. Enjoy!