2 cups cooked sweet potatoes, mashed, warm
2 apples, cored, peeled and sliced*
1 red onion, sliced
2 tablespoons grapeseed oil, divided
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
Juice and zest of 1 lime
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon cumin
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
6 tortillas (corn or flour)
4 ounces Cotija cheese
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a medium saucepan and add onions and apples. Cook until they turn begin to brown, approximately 15-20 minutes.
2. As onions and apples cook, heat tortillas slightly in the oven (300 degrees for 10-15 minutes) or on the stove in a pan sprayed lightly with cooking spray. They should not get crispy, only warm.
3. In a small bowl, mash warm sweet potatoes, honey, 1 tablespoon butter, lime juice and zest, cumin, cilantro and red pepper flakes.
4. Spread a layer of sweet potatoes, onion-apple mixture and then crumble cheese on one half of the tortilla and fold over. (Resist the urge to overfill.) Using remaining 1 tablespoon of butter and 1 tablespoon oil, toast quesadillas on both sides until golden brown.
5. For a little added snazzle, whisk a bit of chili pepper, honey and lime juice together and drizzle on top.
*We used Fujis. A crisp, sweet apple works best.