Simple recipe for a cute brunch meal with British roots. It's not going to win any awards, but it tastes good.
1. Cut the crusts off your bread and use a mug to press a hole in the center. Yes, we're about to make "egg in bread".
2. Put your baked beans on a low heat and stir occasionally.
3. Add a glug of olive oil and a knob of butter to a griddle pan. When hot, gently lay your slice of bread in and let it fry for a minute until golden on the underside. Flip it over, bring the heat down and crack an egg into the hole.
4. Chuck a few mushrooms in the pan and squeeze a bit of lemon on them. Let everything cook through (don't turn the egg-bread, just let it cook from underneath).
5. Garnish with something green - a rosemary sprig or a fried sage leaf would do nicely. Season your egg with a bit of freshly ground salt and pepper.