- 1 pound Sausage (Italian or otherwise)
- 1-2 Carrots, peeled, quartered & chopped
- 2 Celery ribs, halved and chopped
- 1 large Onion, chopped
- 1 28 oz can of tomatoes
- 1 1/3 cup Green French Lentils, rinsed
- 2 1/2 cups (or more) Water
- Large handful Greens, finely chopped*
- Balsamic vinegar (optional)
- Salt & Pepper
*Spinach, Beet, Kale, etc...
You might notice a sausage theme with me, i've got access to an excellent variety. If possibly, try to get some spicy italian or other variation beyond the basic italian.
Start by frying the sausage in a large skillet with tall sides until fully cooked. Remove to a bowl reserving the fat in the pan.
Return pan to heat and add onion, scrapping up and lefterover sausage, cooking for about 5 mins.
Add carrots and celery, cook for about 5 more mins.
Add tomatoes, and a couple of large pinches of salt. cook for another 5-10 mins until you've got a nice flavorful base.
Add lentils, cooked sausage, salt, pepper, and enough water to barely cover lentils, bring to boil, cover, reduce heat, simmer for 20 mins.
Remove cover, add greens (For this recipe i used wonder beet greens that i had on hand, i highly recommend)
Drizzle with a bit of Balsamic to taste. Cheers!