This is a Parsee dish - hot, sweet & sour. It's fairly quick to cook and its combination of flavours is delicious. It should be quite a thick sauce.
- Dissolve the sugar in the vinegar in a small bowl and add the chillies, garlic and tamarind.
- Fry the onions in the oil on a fairly high heat - after about 3 or 4 minutes, add the peppers.
- Add the coriander, cumin & turmeric and stir in well, ensuring the spices don't burn.
- Add the vinegar, sugar, chilli, garlic & tamarind mixture and stir in well. Cook for about a minute, stirring continuously.
- Add the tomatoes, reduce the heat to a gentle simmer and cook for about 20 minutes or until sauce is thick.
- Turn up the heat slightly, add the prawns and continue cooking until prawns are fully pink and just cooked through (probably 2-3 minutes, depending on heat - don't overcook them though).
- Finish with a little squeeze of fresh lemon as you serve.
- Serve with rice or naan bread.