- 3 cups (710 ml) diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup (178 ml) freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup (59 ml) red wine/Balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 cup (118 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- salt, black pepper, and granulated garlic to taste
- 25 fresh whole basil leaves
- 25 baguette croutons
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all of the ingredients except for the whole basil leaves and croutons. Mix well, cover, and refrigerate 1 to 2 hours.
- When ready to serve, place one basil leaf atop each crouton, and top with one heaping tablespoon of Panzanella.
- To make the croutons, slice the French bread/baguette into 1/2-inch to 1-inch-thick (1.3-2.5 cm) pieces. Place the slices on a baking sheet, and bake at 350F (177C) until toasted.