- 1 + 3/4 cup Self Raising Flour
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Dessicated Coconut
- 1tsp Baking Soda
- 1tsp Cinnamon
- 220g Pineapple
- 220g Kiwi fruit
- 2 Ripe Banana
- 3/4 cup Light Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Eggs
Lime Cream Cheese Icing
- 75g Cream Cheese
- 75g Unsalted Butter
- 175g Icing Sugar
- 1tsp Lime juice
- 2tsp Lime rind
I think the traditional Hummingbird consists of pineapple, banana and coconut. Since Kiwi fruit is in season now in Australia, I thought I'll try replacing half the required amount of pineapple with kiwi.
I quite like it, as the kiwi fruit is a little tart, so the cake is not too sweet and you get the tangy bite ^_^
If kiwi is not readily available, just double the amount of pineapple.
To make the cake :
1. Pre-heat oven to 180 C
2. Chop the fruits into small pieces (for the banana, mash them)
3. Combine all the dry ingredients in a bowl, make sure to break all the brown sugar lumps.
4. Make a well in the centre, pour in the olive oil and eggs into the well, and mix well with the dry ingredients. Do not over mix.
5. Then add in the fruits and mix until just combined.
6. Bake until the cake springs back when lightly pressed.
(The cake will be moist, so if it looks wet, don't worry )
For the icing :
1. In a bowl, beat the softened cream cheese, butter and icing sugar until creamy.
2. Add in the lime juice and rind. Mix well.
If you wish, you can add toppings like chopped walnuts and lime rind with dusting of cinnamon.