8-12 chicken breast tenders
1/4 cup flour
1 1/2 tablespoons basil, minced
1 tablespoon thyme, minced
1 tablespoon parsley, minced
1/3 cup pine nuts, crushed
4 tablespoons green onion, chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons mint, minced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
Zest of 1 lemon
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup pearl barley, rinsed
1 cup celery, chopped
1 cup corn, drained
1/2 red onion, minced
1/4 cup white wine
1. Place 3 cups of water to boil on the stove.
2. Drop in pearl barley, add a few pinches of salt and allow to cook 30-40 minutes.
3. During last 20 minutes of barley’s cooking, toss celery, corn and
red onion in a pan with a bit of olive oil. Cook on medium low heat
until veggies have softened slightly, approximately 5 minutes. Add
white wine and cook another 5-7 minutes or until onions are
translucent. Remove from heat.
4. As veggies rest and pearl barley finishes boiling, mix flour with
green onions, herbs, spices and pine nuts. Add zest and mix well.
5. Sseason both sides of chicken with salt, if desired.
6. Dip chicken in egg and coat in flour and herb mixture.
7. Drop a bit of olive oil in a pan on the stove and once the
temperature is right, lay in chicken. Cook until juices run clear,
approximately 3-4 minutes on each side.
8. To finish off meal, mix veggies into pearl barley and serve with chicken.