This recipe is labor intensive to do by hand, a piece of cake to do with a food processor. Either way, a delicious homage to growing up jewish!
- Finely shred the potatoes and onion, either with a box grater or in a food processor. You want thin strings, not mush.
- To get rid of starch, rinse with plenty of cold water and drain and squeeze as dry as you ca get it. There will be some water, that's fine.
- Mix all of the ingredients in a large bowl. You should have a slight batter, but add more egg or matzo meal to adjust.
- Bring a pan with 1/2 inch of oil to medium heat. A drop of batter or flour should sizzle, but not smoke.
- Using an ice cream scoop or two spoons, gently drop small balls into the batter, smushing them down to about 3/4" thickness. Fry about three minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
- Blot dry on paper towels and serve with applesauce and/or sour cream.