- 5 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 6 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups spaghetti (1 cup = 1 serving)
- 1 medium potato, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, halved and chopped
- 450 g tomato puree
- 1 pinch dried rosemary
- 1 pinch parsley flakes
- 1 pinch oregano flakes
- 3 ml white wine (optional)
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
A delicious, garlicky vegetarian spaghetti loaded with delicious pan-fried vegetables in extra-virgin olive oil. If you want a lighter, more wholesome meal, omit the potatoes and add chopped spinach.
It's quite the heavy meal, and makes for an extremely hearty lunch!
1. Cook the spaghetti in water and some salt, until al dente. Set aside.
2. In a large shallow pan, add extra virgin oil oil. When pan becomes hot, throw in garlic, fry till light brown, then onions.
3. When onions are soft, add in potatoes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook on shallow pan for about 10 minutes or until potatoes are soft, but not completely cooked.
4. Add in celery and carrots, followed by rosemary, parsley and oregano flakes. Another pinch of pepper. Stir-fry on low to medium flame for about 5 minutes.
5. Add a spruce of white wine for flare. (Optional).
6. Once potatoes are browned and crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside, add in tomato puree.
7. Stir-fry for a further 5 - 10 min or until sauce is thick enough for your liking.
8. On individual serving plates, place spaghetti on plate. Use a fork and whirl spaghetti until it looks pleasantly stacked and visually appealing. Top with spaghetti sauce.
9. Season & Garnish with parsley flakes and oregano flakes. Serve warm.