They say Gamjatang is time consuming, fear no more! With the use of a pressure cooker you can still get your delicious broth. If you don't feel like making the broth and just pressure cooking/boiling to get the soft tender meat of the pork neck bone, it's fine, but it'll definitely taste porkier. For that option, you can skip the broth making process and just use the Korean Dashi broth.
I recommend making it all the way through, and great if you have a pressure cooker.
- Put the pork neck bone in a pot of about 7 cups of water or whatever you see fit. (I just filled it a bit, but not enough to oversaturate the meat.) Add the cloves of garlic, the WHITE parts of the green onion, the ginger, onion and peppercorn. Pressure cook it for about 45 minutes to an hour.
- After you're done, strain the broth and remove the vegetables. Put the meat back into the broth.
- On the stove, add 2 tablespoons of korean chili pepper powder and a teaspoon of gochuchang. (pepper paste.) Add about a big tablespoon of the soybean paste.
- Add the perilla leaves and seeds, potatoes, soybean sprouts, cabbage and bring to a nice simmer until they're cooked. Garnish with green onion.
- Season with salt and pepper if you wish, serve on a bed of rice.