- 3 whole boneless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cooking wine or dry sherry
- 3 drops sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/8-1/4 cup white vinegar or rice wine vinegar (depending on how sweet you want the sauce)
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon chili paste (or more)
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
InstructionsFirst, prepare the chicken & marinade:
Second, prepare the sauce (perhaps while marinading):
- Cut the chicken into 1-inch cubes.
- Mix the marinade ingredients (the first 9 ingredients listed).
- Marinate the chicken for 20-39 minutes minutes.
Third, to deep-fry the chicken:
- Mix together all of the sauce ingredients (the LAST 9 ingredients beginning with water).
- Pour them into a small pot and bring to a boil, stirring continuously.
- Turn the heat down to low and keep warm while you are deep-frying the chicken.
Last, to put it all together:
- Add the marinated chicken pieces a few at a time, and deep-fry until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels and then place chicken in warm oven (130 degrees) while you continue frying.
- Repeat with the remainder of the chicken.
- Just before you are finished deep-frying, bring the sauce back up to a boil.
- Place the chicken on a large platter and pour the sauce over.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Serve the Sesame Chicken with rice.