- 125g self raising flour
- 125g unsalted butter (softened)
- 125g caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1tsp instant espresso powder
- 3tbs milk
Dark Chocolate Ganache
- 300g dark chocolate
- 50g unsalted butter
- 2 tsp instant espresson coffee powder
- chopped walnuts to decorate (optional)
I got this recipe from Nigella's "How To Be A Domestic Goddess" cook book.
The base is from the Cappuccino Cupcakes recipe, but since the icing that comes with it is super sweet, I swopped it with the icing for the Espresso Cupcakes (now you might ask, "why not just use the cupcake base from the Espresso Cupcakes then?". Simple...the recipe calls for muscovado sugar which is not easy to find).
This cupcake is not too sweet, the coffee aroma is distinct and the dark chocolate just add a little bit extra sweetness and flavour ^_^
1. Preheat oven to 200 C
2. In a food processor, put everything into the bowl EXCEPT the milk. Pulse until just combined.
3. Add in the milk and pulse again until well mixed.
4. Spoon into cupcake paper cups and bake until golden brown.
5. Leave them in the tray for a few minutes, if you take them out straight, the paper will start peeling off from the cake.
6. Take the cupcakes out from the tray and leave to cool before icing them.
1. Use a double boiler, melt everything together until smooth.
2. Then spread liberally over the cooled cupcakes and sprinkle with chopped walnuts.